ga('require', 'displayfeatures')

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

She Reads Truth - Prayer in the Bible Day 18



Prayer in the Bible Day 18: Private and Corporate Praying

Day 18 Scripture: Matthew 6:1-6

The who, where, and when of praying

I think most of us can easily say that we have no problems with private prayer. That quiet time when we build our personal relationship with God. When we can humbly speak to our Father and in the quiet hear his response. But what about Corporate prayer? Out in the public for all to hear? Social media is the synagogue of today. Do you struggle with putting your prayers out there for all to see / read / hear? 

Whether it’s on Instagram or as a guest at your neighbor’s table, each time we call out His name publicly, we must carefully examine: am I doing this to be impressive, or am I doing this because He’s impressive? - She Reads Truth .com

Corporate prayer is when we a community (the christian community in groups large or small) come together in prayer, lifting one another up and praising God. 

Are we calling out his name to impress others or because He is impressive? I think we really have to ask ourselves this question. 


From my journal:

I'm sure you have seen o Facebook or received an email that say "if you are a believer than repost this or forward it on." I don't need to "like" something so that everyone knows I am a Christian. My prayers and actions show I'm a Christian, I don't need to impress others with my prayers.

Do not go around tooting your own horn at all the charity you give, the works you do for the church, or yell out about the prayers you pray. Don't act like a Christian to impress people.

"But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you." Matthew 6:6

God calls us to pray privately and also to share in prayer with other like minded and like hearted people. There is nothing wrong with asking the church or small group to pray with you, or for a group to pray together and all pray for someone  or something.



"The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results." James 5:16

Additional Scripture:

James 5:16
Acts 2:42
Luke 9:28
John 17

Mark 14:32

No comments:

Post a Comment