ga('require', 'displayfeatures')

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Namesake Week 4 Daniel Day 1: True to Our Roots




Today's Scripture: Daniel 1:1-21, Proverbs 22:6, Deuteronomy 11:18-21, Ephesians 6:4, and 2 Timothy 3:16-17

This chapter really could not have come at a better time. My husband and I have been struggling with our 14 year old daughter for the past 2 years. Her rebellious attitude, lack of respect, and getting into trouble has gotten worse and worse. This year (2014) has really been full of trials, anger, disappointment, and struggle. We feel like we are failing as parents! Did we not teach our oldest the things she needed to know / the things that we expect of her, when she was little, is it too late?

In this chapter we meet Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah - four boys who were taught from birth about their culture, beliefs, and their parents expectations of them. Even their names had such meaning that later they could fall back on the meaning for guidance.

Daniel: God is my Judge
Hananiah: Yahweh (God) is Gracious
Mishael: Who is like God?
Azariah: Yahweh (God) has helped

Each time that the boys hear their names they also hear the message that their names mean. As our children grow we share (teach) them about their family, their culture, their beliefs and responsibilities. Every time we sit down with our children or our children sit down with someone else they are learning and observing.

Here are some versus that talk about parenting children who will love God.

 Proverbs 22:6
 Deuteronomy 11:18-21
 Ephesians 6:4
 2 Timothy 3:16-17

I feel that I have done a great disservice to my oldest daughter. I had her 1 month before my 15th birthday, I was not ready to be a mom and I think that caused some of the issues we are having today. I was a child raising a child, I didn't know the things that she needed to learn - to be respectful, have great manners, love God, stay focused on school and stay away from people that are going to get you in trouble. I was learning these things myself, I didn't know that she was missing things along the way. She was influenced more from the outside world than from inside our home, how do I get all that back and get her back on track?

Please God give Chad and I your knowledge and patience to help Shay succeed and help us parent with more love, as you have loved us, and with less anger and frustration. Help Shay to take responsibility for her part and the things that she has done, stop blaming us for her bad choices. Help us please to be better parents and raise great girls who do great in life and love you.

Amen 



No comments:

Post a Comment