ga('require', 'displayfeatures')

Thursday, June 19, 2014

MS Update

I feel really bad about not posting on a regular basis and not having a current devotion / study going. But with Dr. appointments and trying to do all the research I can on MS and medications, I just haven't had the time to sit with my bible and then with my blog.

I went to the Dr. on Tuesday and went with a long list of questions. My doctor was great he answered each question and explained everything. I have Relapsing and Remitting MS (RRMS) this is the best to have compared to Progressive MS. The thing that worries me the most is my doctor said that I have a well established case, meaning I have alot of lesions (also called plaques) which are areas of scare tissue. I have them from my brain down my spinal column to the T10 - T11 area (mid back).

"Treatment needs to be started NOW." thats what my doctor said. He is worried that if I don't start treatment it would be detrimental. And starting now will slow the disease and my symptoms....balance issues, memory / brain fog, tingling and burning from the waist down, itching, etc.

After talking about 8 different medications we decided that we would start with the medication that has the longest / best track record and has the least amount of side effects (this can differ greatly from patient to patient) Copaxone. It has to be injected 3 times a week and it is a pre-loaded pen similar to an Epipen. I wont start the injects for about 2 weeks, they have to be mailed to me and then a nurse has to come out and show me how to inject.

The thing I am worried about the most is the possible side effects, fatigue, nausea, body aches, and weight gain. I am a stay at home mom to a VERY active 3.5 year old daughter and with my limitations from my back injury (an impingement and herniation in my low back) I need to be at my best all the time. I need to go to the gym and do what I can do to stay in shape (ha in shape, well going to the gym and doing my limited workout so that I can try to keep losing weight and trying to get in shape). I don't want to be sick and stuck in bed, having to rely on my family and friends to take care of my kids and my house, etc.

I guess I have to take my husbands advise to stop worrying, we will deal with it as it comes. I have to remember to give it to God, stop trying to handle it all alone for He is the one who controls the situation. I pray each day that He will continue to hold my hand and keep me in his loving arms through this whole thing. God would not have put where I am if there was not a purpose!





No comments:

Post a Comment