ga('require', 'displayfeatures')

Monday, August 4, 2014

Namesake Week 1 Day 1: What's in a Name?




Today's scripture Genesis 12:1-4, Genesis 29:31-35, 30:1-12

Our names are not given as much thought these days as back when the Bible was written. Our names are given to us for many reasons, to tell a story, description of inner character, or to carry on a family name or tradition. But back when the Bible was written parents would invest a significant amount of time choosing just the right name, a name for their child to grow into, a dream to be fulfilled.

Here are the names of Abraham and Sarah's great-grandchildren and some words that came to my mind after reading the reasons for their names.

Reuben - Love shared between a husband and wife
Simeon - The loving bond shared between a mother and son
Levi - A son for a father to love
Judah - Praise to God for the last son
Dan - Vindication 
Naphtali - Struggles towards a win
Gad - Fortunate
Asher - Joy and celebration

Isaiah 43:1 "But now, O Jacob, listen to the Lord who created you. O israel, the one who formed you says, Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by names, you are mine."

I love this verse! The Lord created us, formed us, and ransomed us. He named us out of love and we're His.
I have always thought of God is a fatherly way, my father and teacher. It truly makes me happy to have such a close relationship with God, to be his child.


Act on It:

I never really have thought much about my name or why my parents chose the name they did. So I called my mom this afternoon and asked her. "Well....." I heard the name Lindsy somewhere, someone said it and I liked it. It was unique and wasn't very common at the time." I looked up the definition of my name after I got off the phone with my mom.  

Lindsy - Island of Linden Trees. Near the Island of Linden Trees. ( The linden tree is a large long lived tree that is also know as the lime tree for its sent.)
My middle name Marie - Loyal

I guess the name fits me better than I thought. I love water and all the colors of water. I consider myself to be a loyal person, hopefully those around me feel the same way.

What does your name and the names of your family members mean? It might give you a better idea of who you are, or rather who your parents dreamed that you might become. Who God is calling us to become.


The first step in the transformation to becoming Jesus' namesake is to trust in the Lord for he has a plan for us. Jeremiah 29:11 and Ephesians 3:20 are great examples of this plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment