ga('require', 'displayfeatures')

Monday, February 24, 2014

The Available Parent - A Review

As I have mentioned in past posts, we have been having some struggles with our teenage daughter. I have taken to reading parenting books to gain skills and tips on how to be a better parent to my teen.

If you have ever gone to the library and looked for teen parenting books, then you know it can be like finding a needle in a haystack to find a good current book. 

On my recent trip to my local library I picked up "The Available Parent - radical optimism for raising teens and tweens" by Dr. John Duffy. To be honest I wasnt sure if I was going to get the '70 or '80's version of parenting or something a little more to date. I was pleasantly surprised, a really great book with honest advise.



"Embracing fearless parenting" that is the main subject of this book. Parents put your fears, doubts, and egos aside. Each chapter of the book starts with a quote from real teens, honest thoughts that can lead to better parenting.

"Don't assume I don't care what you think just because I say I don't care you think. Jamie, 15"

Here are the main points of this book:

1. Be an available parent
2. Always have open communication
3. Be present
4. Put fear aside
5.  Put your ego aside
6. Do NOT live through your teen / tween
7. Lectures do not work because your teen has heard it all many times and check out before the main point
8. Keep your message short and to the point
9. Don't micromanage
10. Listen to your gut
11. Laugh with your teen - life doesn't have to be so serious
12. Find common ground with your teen - you have to talk to them to find common ground
13. Unplug (you and your teen)
14. Have appropriate consequences
15. When you say NO stick to it
16. Support your teens interests
17. Build self esteem
18. Lead by example

I hope that you go and check out or purchase this book. It is a great book to read even if your children are 10 or 18 (as long as your 18 year old still lives at home). Its never to early or too late to get knowledge and skills to be the best possible parent. When we are good parents and provide a safe, fun, and encouraging home we raise great kids.

This is an independent book review. I was not given this book or paid for this review.


No comments:

Post a Comment